Monday, November 3, 2014

Dear Erin,

I went to The Healing Nest today. Without you. I took a box full of your bandannas and hats to share with other women who lose their hair during treatment. I hope that is okay with you. On the way there I thought about the first time we went. You were newly diagnosed, I was lost in a fog of fear about what was ahead of us. We had no idea how much we would come to love and be loved by those amazing women. Or that two years later I would be diagnosed with cancer and we would become the first mother/daughter clients at the Nest.

Trish hugged me hard and long while I cried on her shoulder. Gelina gave me a manicure and we talked about her baby, due in three months. At lunch I told our story to the women around the table, several of them were there for the first time. Teri rested her hands on my shoulders to comfort me. I wished with all my heart that you were sitting in the chair next to me, eating pumpkin soup and drinking tea.

I cried all the way home.

Love, Mom

1 comment:

  1. Debbie, you shine even on those days it may not feel as though you are.
    Words from me, seem inadequate.
    Sending you a hug.
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete